Sunday, January 31, 2010

solitude


When I was in college I discovered the spiritual discipline of solitude. For me, solitude is about spending extended periods of time with the Lord, allowing space for Him to speak to me. So really it is not solitude at all, but fellowship with the Father.
Since coming to Hong Kong I find it really hard to find a place to meet with the Lord away from people, they literally seem everywhere. Lately I've been finding myself craving time away from the noise of life, to a place where I can quiet my heart to hear God speak.
Fortunately there is a beautiful Lutheran seminary on a hill near our house. It is a good hike up to the top, but once there you are rewarded with peaceful presence of nature (and sometimes the not so peaceful presence of monkeys). The seminary has beautiful Chinese architecture, a coy pound, labyrinth, pagoda, and cross facing the valley below.
Yesterday Jason, Josiah and I hiked up to the seminary and then Jason took Josiah so I could spend some time alone with the Lord. I was refreshed as my spirit connected with His. God shared His heart with me and changed my perspective on a few things I've been facing. Mostly I just soaked in His love and goodness.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest"




2 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

I'm so glad you got some time away!

Becky said...

Have you tried the labyrinth? I heard it really helps your focus. Drove up there once to see what was at the top of the hill. Next time, I'll get out, or even better - hike up!