Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Boy, Big City


Sometimes I am really struck by how different Josiah's childhood is from my own. I have to wonder, how is our choice to live in Hong Kong shaping him?
Will he grow up to . . .
love cement?
fear germs ?
like small spaces?
hate small spaces?
desire a fast- past life?
value other cultures?
be bilingual?
have exotic taste buds?
be time- oriented?
respect rules?
be materialistic?
value education?
have a heart for the lost?


Josiah is like a video camera always switched "on" recording everything I do and say. Occasionally the camera switches to "play" as he shows me what he's been recording. Lately I've been convicted of my need to model more love and grace to the people around us. I can't know what long- term effects this environment will have on Josiah, but I can choose to show him how to love even in frustrating moment (ie- being cut off while getting on the train). Living around lots of people provides lots of chances to love.

Hong Kong is obviously having a big effect on Annette's fashion sense.

4 comments:

The Liconas said...

Hi! My name is Shalimar and I work at Richman and am close friends with Sara, Jennifer, and Ana! I read your blog through Sara's blog and I always love what you have to say and what you are up to. Your son and I also share a birthday-May 1st. God Bless you all for living where and how you do...your children are richly blessed by all that they see from you, your hearts, and your love.

Sara said...

Josiah will be all of that and more because of the people you and Jason are. That will folowchim wherever you Are living. Right now, Hong Kong us the icing on his cake.
I love those train pictures so much...brings back lots of memories!
And those shoes! Can I put in an order for some? So cute!!!

Jennifer said...

I love that first picture of Jason and Josiah. That is priceless. Your kids will have a wonderful life where ever they are because of you guys. You are giving them a wonderful gift of seeing the world and experiencing different ways of life, people and cultures. Most people can never say that they got to grow up in such an interesting and beautiful place. ps...I love the shoes too!

Bobbie Bailey said...

i love your post...a mother's inner thoughts christine. i have no doubt that his envinoment will help shape your little son and daughter's lives....for good. but, YOU (& their daddy) will by far be their greatest influence. and, what wonderful influences you are! God bless you for your faithfulness to your family and so many others! love to you, bobbie