Monday, April 4, 2011

Small World

As I reflected on my rather ordinary day, it struck me how many different cultures I encounter and how interconnected our world is. Here is a run down. . .

8:00- skype with sister Angela in California

10:00- buy shoes for Annette with a gift certificate given to me from a Japanese friend. The shoes are for an Australian/ Chinese wedding Annette is going to be the flower girl in

11:00- lunch at Ikea with friend from Wisconsin. Eat meatballs from Sweden (;

1:00- While kids nap send emails off to missionaries in Africa

4:00- tutor Chinese girl named Rainbow while her Filipino helper watches Josiah and Annette

5:00- go to my new Pakistani friend's house for tea and samosas

8:00- blog about it for all of you to read (where ever you are!)

At church yesterday our pastor was talking about how Christianity can be contexualized into any culture. It is the only major religion that doesn't require conformity to an outside set of rules pertaining to dress, food, customs etc. I love that we can celebrate cultures, and I certainly did today.

5 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

Hmmm...love that!

Emily Thompson said...

yeah for wisconsin and swedish meat :o)

Reneelharvey said...

Great post! I like your perspective on things!

nestinginskyscrapers.blogspot.com

EveryChapter said...

That's crazy! (your muticultural day). How fun.

J.M.Paine said...

I love how interconnected our world can be. Mines not quite like that in arroyo grande, BUT I will live vicariously through you:)