Saturday, April 30, 2011

Joey and Tim

Whew! We just got back from a lovely wedding for our friend Joey and her new hubby Tim. It was unlike any wedding I’ve ever been to. Here are some things that made it unique

1. The bride is Chinese and the groom is Australian
2. The whole wedding was pretty much planned in one month
3. Everything was spoken and written in Cantonese and English
4. The guests consisted of Joey’s Christian friends from church and large extended family (all non- Christian)
5. I was the maid- of- honor, Josiah was the “flower boy” and Annette was the “flower girl” (but not part of the ceremony) which all proved to be a bit much
6. We had no rehearsal, just winged it
7. I was in charge of the rings which scared me to death
8. The venue was at a beautiful lake and the weather just sprinkled a little
9. The couple changed into the traditional Chinese clothes for the reception
10. The wedding cake was made of styrofoam so they just took a picture pretending to cut it

Here is Josiah sporting the purple box tie I made with a glue gun the night before (:






Annette loved the sushi at the reception


We did have a few interested "moments" confirming what my gut told me that two is too young to be in a wedding (:
Moment #1- We had practiced Josiah walking down the isle (behind me, in front of the bride) and scattering petals. When I looked back during the ceremony he was very anxiously walking down the isle, clinging to his basket with a death grip, not tossing any petals. When he could take it no more he burst into tears, tossed the basket two feet in the air and ran to my arms sobbing loudly. Fortunately he calmed down rather quickly and then proceeded to take a nap the rest of the ceremony.

Moment #2- During my toast Annette (who had been an angel up until that point) started screaming so Jason took her out. Once Jason was gone Josiah got a little insecure and starting crying. He ran into my arms sobbing into the microphone as a tried to plow through my speech. His 30 pound body clinging to me was pulling my strapless dress down. I tried to stay decent, juggle him and my microphone, be articulate and remember to pause for the interpreter. Craziness.

The best part of the day for me was seeing the love on Tim's face when Joey walked down the isle. These two are SO great for each other and both such fun, passionate, Godly people. I just love them and think we will have to plan a trip to Sydney now to visit them.

9 comments:

Emily Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Thompson said...

Ok, I just deleted my comment, becuase a part didn't make sense :o) anyway, THANKS for all the details and pictures, can't wait to hear more. YOU look beautiful and I'm amazed at all you were able to organize and accomplish in such a short time. YOU are and amazing friend ( I have to keep you around!) The bow tie looked perfect!!!

Monday is coming...Are you getting nervous? :o) HAHA

Reneelharvey said...

Styrofoam cake???? Really???

Emily's right; you look gorgeous.

Congratulations to your newly-wed friends!

The Liconas said...

What a neat day for all of you and my best wishes to your sweet friends! Also, happy birthday to Josiah, my fellow May-Day sharing birthday bud! I will be 36 and he will be 3!!!

gerry said...

I'm sorry we are laughing as we read your blog, hopefully you are laughing now too?? You looked beautiful and so did the rest of your family. Poor Josiah, we did sound excited about throwing the flowers but things are different when people are watching you down the aisle.

The Schmidts said...

You look beautiful my dear! -Rhiannon

jeniferkarianne said...

Cute pictures! It didn't look crazy at all! :) And...Annette could have barfed on you! :) Hehe. Glad to hear it worked out too! :)

Angela said...

1. YES, you look great Christine! Very beautiful!
2. I laughed
3. So happy to see that Josiah seemed healthy! My Bible study girls and I have been praying for him with the asthma
4. Love how you roll with the punches and the Wedding Goes On!
5. Thanks for the fun post to read and hear about the wedding :)

fyi.. the jacaranda trees are beginning to bloom here!

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

I guess everyone loved this post! Chris and I are also giggling as we read this post - you DO look beautiful, and WAY TO GO JOSIAH! Totally rocked it, I'm sure. :) Love you guys!