Monday, October 18, 2010

Learning Around Home

The teacher in me LOVES the stage that Josiah is at. His insatiable curiosity ("whats dis called?" all day long) and explorer personality are opening up the world before his eyes. Josiah is not into toys so much, but loves "working". . . using tools, washing dishes, juicing carrots, scrubbing the bathtub, shaving his legs (just kidding). . . anything he sees me doing. With this is mind, my creativity is always being stretched to think of news ways to have him "help" me.

Last week we made an apple pie together. It began so fun, but as the process progressed the kitchen and my one square foot of counter space starting shrinking. An hour and a half later by the time we were finished and had cleaned up the flour (everywhere!) I was about to pull my hair out. Here is a random compilation of some of our play pictures (again sorry for the nudity, he really does wear clothes sometimes!)

home- made puppet theater

playing the guitar

finger painting

counting Cheerios

Going on a "red hunt"
sorting buttons, beans, shells, pasta. .. .

Josiah's favorite: nuts and bolts

shaving cream- this got out of control

sink or float game

we turned his tool bench into a play kitchen for hours of fun

Please leave a comment to share ideas of fun games you play around your house.

6 comments:

Amy LaVonne said...

My mom made a box/tub of rice and let us step around in it and hide things within it. I LOVED it!! And for cooking... we always got to choose one thing to dip our finger in and eat and we would sit there for ever trying to decide between white and brown sugar. :)

Josiah is one of the cutest kids ever by the way!

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

You're such a good mommy! Love it all!

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

Josiah is so blessed to have you as a Mom, Christine! One idea I did recently but this may be hard to do in Hong Kong, I got some field corn and put in a tub for Soren to put in his wagons and feed the animals, etc. He loves it! Perhaps Amy's idea of rice would be a more appropriate resources for you to use. ;-)

The Liconas said...

You are such a wonderful, caring mommy!!!! Love the pictures of you guys playing together! I agree that this age is so fun. I let Salvatore match up his (many) shoes by spreading them out on the carpet..we do this with his socks also. Sometimes we put dry beans in empty milk jugs and he shakes it to his favorite music.

J.M.Paine said...

You are such a great mom! I love how the Lord is using your gift of teaching a new setting...with your very own kids:) I have a lot to learn from you

Jennifer said...

Such great ideas!!! Boy you make me realize I need to step up my game :). You are such a great mommy