Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pray for the Philippines


Ours hearts break at the devastation the last typhoon has caused in the Philippines. Nearly all of the 12 million residents in Manila have been affected as 80% of the city was initially submerged in water. The neighborhood where we have visited several times (Cuatro Community) was especially devastated. There is untold grief over the loss of loved ones and all their earthly possessions. The ministry we've partnered with is now feeding 1,500 people a day in the community as well as providing health care. I've been thinking of my friend Lizelle who lives in the community. A year ago she and her husband were working very hard to fix up their home with dirt floors and ply wood walls. I wonder how far they got before the typhoon took it all away. Of course, I've thought a lot about the mothers trying to care for their children in this time when sickness and infection often follow in the aftermath. Right now there is another category 5 super typhoon (the strongest storm category) expected to hit the Philippines late Friday or Saturday Please join us in praying that it takes a different course.

2 comments:

jeniferkarianne said...

I always would love to donate to a great relief cause...one that actually uses the money or goods I send for the people, instead of the administration fees. Can you recommend a good one? Small or large, it makes no difference. :)

jeniferkarianne said...

Thanks for posting that link Christine. Since a lot of the board members are out of Kansas City area, the area that I HAPPEN to live in, I'm going to see if the members of the symphony here can collaborate something in the musical area. I don't know what, but something! Thanks for all you do!