Monday, October 5, 2009

Camping. . .the good, the bad, and the sandy

When we were first married Jason and I loved hard- core backpacking. We vowed when had kids we would "throw them on our back" and not let them slow us down. Ha, ha. This weekend we took a two day, one night backpacking trip to a beautiful beach in Hong Kong. It was fantastic and exhausting at the same time. Josiah loved every minute of it; having a huge sandbox, lots of rocks, space, and water to play in. Coming out of my first trimester coma I was out of shape for carrying 35 lbs up and over mountains in the blazing heat. But the Lord provided the strength for us all enjoy ourselves. The normal 5 minute routine of putting Josiah to bed took 5 hours that moon lit night. I don't think I slept more than an hour all night. But, to see his face in the morning when he realized he'd woken up on a beach was (almost) worth it. We learned that if you can't beat the sand, join it. Josiah ate it, slept in it, and had it burrowed in every crevice of his body. Now that we are home I am still sweeping it up. Enjoy the pics (it may be a long time before we attempt something like this again!)

Isn't it beautiful here?!?

Two of our friends we camped with, Maria and Beth. The beach behind them is where we spent the night.

Rise and shine Noah!

Josiah played with this little camping stool for hours

Jason made these cool tiki- torches to light up the beach (can you tell he is excited?!)

Belly on the beach

Everyone was too tired to hike out, so we took a water taxi back to Sai Kung. It was a scenic ride, but I was too nervous clutching my child to enjoy it as our tiny boat went break- neck speed over the huge swells catching air. Yikes!

3 comments:

J.M.Paine said...

Ah, sleep and camping they hardly ever meet. Looked gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better. Looks like you had a great time. What a beautiful beach. I love the pic of your little belly.

The Schmidts said...

You are braver then I am--backpacking while pregnant with a toddler!!! I am in awe. -Rhiannon