Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Walking in the Rain

Feeling a bit cooped up today, Josiah and I ventured out on a walk in Tai Wai. Living in a high rise tends to breed a "cooped up" feeling on a rainy day with a baby, but the great thing is the antidote is not far away. Just down the elevator I can get a healthy, energizing dose of people, lots of people. It doesn't even matter if those people can speak my language or understand anything about me. Josiah and I love stopping to talk to old Chinese ladies who tickle, cluck, and speak to him in Cantonese. We talk back in English and baby language. Babies truly are a great bridge.

Today everyone was walking with umbrellas. People in Hong Kong carry umbrellas in all kinds of weather, rainy . . . sunny. . . neither rainy nor sunny. Today their umbrella display was appropriate. Instinctively I joined in until it became annoying to carry an umbrella and push a stroller. I pulled it shut and allowed the water to gently fall on my face. As we strolled Josiah dosed off to the pitter patter overhead and I began to ponder. I decided one of the best times to reflect is during a walk in the rain. I thought about how much my life has changed and how different my days are now from the 22 years I spent in a structured educational setting. I thought about how happy I am, yet how Josiah has taken front stage in my life. I thought about balance, and about Jesus who I long to be the center of my life. When we got back home I was damp and refreshed. Try it sometime.

2 comments:

kellyfweiss said...

Hey Christine, I thought that was a really beautiful blog entry. I can just picture it and you wrote about it so well. Hope all is well with the 3 of you. Much love from the Weiss's!

Ashley said...

That sounds so lovely. Maybe I should go for a walk when I'm feeling crummy too.