Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bank Run


Walking home from the train station this afternoon I noticed a scurry of activity near the banking area. As I got nearer a mob of people surrounded the doors of the Bank of East Asia (BEA). The line went on for hundreds of meters. I talked to a man watching the mass of anxiety and fear right in front of us. Initially I thought "Oh, there are probably just handing out free pens or something". You know how people go crazy over free things. He kept saying "Mo Chin A!" Which means no money. Apparently a rumor started and then circulated via cell phones that the Bank was in financial straits. This caused a huge panic as HK people do so well and well there ya go a bonafide bank run. It reminded me of the scene from It's a Wonderful Life. The bank shouldn't go under as they have US50 billion net worth. As I continued walking home I thought about what I put my "stock" in and realized how quickly our things can vanish even when we think they are secure. My thoughts drifted to Jesus' famous preachings regarding possessions. Exhorting us to store up our treasures in heaven rather than on earth where moth and thieves can destroy.

No comments: