Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Farewell Tooth

Today was full of surprises. It began with school being canceled for the kids thanks to Typhoon Utor. Then mid- morning the tooth Josiah had been wiggling for a month fell out. This was obviously a big deal to him, but surprisingly it was to me too. I remember the day I discovered that tooth poking through his gums. Ahem, I may have actually blogged about it here (I think I suffer from a blogging sickness). A lost tooth to me marks the end of little days and the entrance into the gangly elementary stage.

I have been wanting to start journaling with Josiah so today to mark the occasion Josiah wrote his first sentence, "I lost my tooth"
Jason and I had not discussed how to commemorate teeth in our family. We don't do Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny (yes, we are that family). Josiah has a very active imagination so we didn't want him to actually believe in the tooth fairy, but we also didn't want to rob him of childhood fun.  The solution?  Jason (all his idea) dressed up like the Tooth Fairy and pranced around the house this evening. It was hilarious. Obviously. Josiah now knows that Dad is the tooth fairy and was very excited to put his tooth under his pillow tonight.


It wasn't until the kids were in bed that I mentioned to Jason that he may have started a family tradition he will have to repeat 60 more times. Ha, ha.
My favorite photo of the day was this self- portrait Josiah took on his camera capturing his new look. 


5 comments:

gerry said...

Too funny! There's something about hairy arms and a tutu that just are funny. What a fun day for Josiah, so what did the funny guy dressed in pink give him?

The Liconas said...

For some reason, this brought tears to my eyes...so sweet. I was also wondering what the Tooth Fairy gave him for that pearly white tooth!

The Paine Family said...

I love your emotion Shalinar (: Josiah got $10 hkd (about $1.25)

Sara said...

Molly lost hers...and literally lost it! Ha ha ha!
The new smile makes them age so much, kinda like that very first big kid haircut does as well.

Happy wiggling Josiah!

Rhiannon said...

That is awesome! What a great idea!