Monday, November 5, 2012

To drive or not to drive, that is the question


For 6 years in Hong Kong we have never owned a car. At first we loved the convenience and cost savings of using the wonderful public transportation system. Then Josiah was born and I learned how to fold up a stroller with one had, carry it and a baby up onto a mini bus, beep my octopus card and get a seat all in 7 seconds. Then I became pregnant with Annette and learned that I could carry a 21 month old in a stroller up 3 flights up stairs out of a station while 8 months pregnant. Needless to say, the transportation challenges expanded with our growing family. Now facing the soon reality of 3 kids under 4 I am contemplating days of pushing a stroller while wearing a baby and motivating a preschooler to walk to school while juggling an umbrella on rainy days through our muddy village etc. Sooo. . . we are thinking of buying a car. Here are the pros and cons as I see it. . . 

Pros
  1. Time Saving- I could get to Josiah’s school in 10 minutes instead of 30, saving 80 minutes a day
  2. Out of the elements- would not have to battle the heat, rain, and mosquitos on our slow walks
  3. Church- Our 1 hr 15 min commute to church could be cut down to 25 minutes each way
  4. Four Fares- Once Annette turns 3 we will have to start paying for her on the public transportation as well. Which is still cheaper than a car, but adding up nonetheless
  5. Village Parking- is much cheaper, and more convenient, than the parking if you live in a high-rise estate
  6. Stuff- obviously the easier option when moving around stuff, such as groceries
  7. Purchase- you can buy nice used cars here at a really reasonable price

Cons
  1. Expensive- Gas is $8 a gallon, there is no such thing as free parking anywhere, registration is high and there are fees for tunnels which abound
  2. Less exercise- currently if I just take Josiah back and forth to school I walk 2.5 miles alone. Usually I end up going more than this. The exercise of course is great for the kids and I.
  3. Repairs, maintenance, insurance- all the unfun upkeep of taking care of a car
  4. Left Side- It is not unlikely that I will have a blonde moment and drive on the right side of the road (:

What do you think? Should we do it? 

6 comments:

Sara said...

I think you should do it...just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it everyday, for all errands.
You can still walk on nice days for exercise...
But for weather days, or running late days, or I'm so tired days...I think the luxury of having the option would be wonderful.

Rhiannon said...

Seriously--I walked all the time when I had two but once I had three it was sooooo much harder. Three really is A LOT crazier then two. It was the hardest jump for me, so I say, buy a car! -Rhiannon

Amy said...

Hi Christine,

Amy Turner here.

We bought Tim Wong's car this past August. We moved to HK two years ago and swore we would NEVER have a car. Well, I can now say it has changed our lives. Instead of 45-60 minutes to school, it's 20 tops. The kids are both busy middle schoolers in after school activities so instead of getting home at 7, they are home at 5:30. We can get to church in Stanley a lot easier. If we need something at the store, we can hop in the car and grab it, rather than waiting for the bus etc.

Gas is expensive-yup. Insurance runs us $1500 HKD per year. Yes, that is per year. The registration is about $5000 hkd per year and it is considered higher I think because we have a van and it is 14 years old.

I say, do it. And, if you do, let me know. I have a great petrol station. Spend $30hkd in their store and save $2 per litre. Pay cash and save a bit more. Plus, free bottles of water.

Good luck

Amy

Matt said...

I think you should get a live in nanny instead of a car ;)

Emily Thompson said...

what about parking??? I always hear thats a pain... like you can't park in front of the kindergarten and is there parking by your church? if you do drive it to get groceries you will pay for parking while you are there, which usually ends up to be the same cost as a taxi home from the store....

Lennette Horton said...

I can't imagine how you will manage without a car once "Jackie"(o-lantern)is born! Actually, I can't imagine how you do it now! :)I vote for a car if you can afford it. Gas and insurance ARE outrageous...but there has to be a point where the trade-ff in time has value, too! I'll keep praying for you! Glad the morning (day-long) sickness is better. Love, Lennette