Saturday, February 5, 2011

Now entering Whyville, Population: 1

Josiah's talking a mile a minute these days and he has discovered a fun little three letter word that apparently is useful in all situations. At least as long as that situation involves driving your mom crazy. I started counting one morning the number of times he says "why" I began at 7 am and stopped at 9 am when he had passed 50.

Our conversations sometimes go like this

Me: Josiah, would you like to read a book?

J: why?

Me: For fun, come on sit here

J: why?

Me: So we can be comfortable. Can you point to Clifford?

J: I want to hug Clifford

Me: Umm. . .that's going to be hard to do

J: Why? why? why? why? I want to hug Clifford

Me: Okay "hug" Clifford (however you're going to manage that)

J: why?

Ahhh!! If anyone has a good response to whying please leave a comment. I haven't resorted to "because I've told you so"- yet!

5 comments:

jeniferkarianne said...

Mom said I was a 'why"er too. She said that she always gave an answer, and it made me self confident, and ok with asking questions (her words). She also said it gave me a notion that I had a right to know everything, and explanations. Pros and cons. :) I don't think I'm THAT messed up. :) :)

The Liconas said...

Oh yes, the "why" stage!!!! Salvatore started right when he turned two and he still does it a year later. Sometimes I would automatically give a long explanation to things in hopes of avoiding him asking yet again..didn't always work. I wondered why! Ha!

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

Both Olivia and Soren went through that stage. Olivia was especially a why sayer. I started asking her, "Well, why do you think _____." It made her stop and use some of those good thinking skills to come up with an answer. Takes more time, but also more brain power. I love that he is curious! :-)

The Schmidts said...

They mostly out grow it by 4. Just grin and bear it. He is discovering everything and testing everything. That is WHY God gives moms patience. -Rhiannon

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

HA! No suggestions here...good luck!!! :)