Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chinglish

The other day my friend commented, "Josiah speaks with a Chinese accent". I have to reluctantly agree that he has picked up some of the tones and expressions of Cantonese. He likes to call me "Mom-me-uh" and Jason "Dad-de- uh" (which he's heard kids on the playground calling their parents). He also says "no- ah", "why-oh", and "bb" instead of "baby". I think he has discovered that when he adds additional vowels to words that he can draw them for an extra whinny effect. Josiah is probably the perfect age for learning the Cantonese and Mandarin around him. If we make a commitment to be in Hong Kong more long term, we will certainly start him in lessons first thing. But for now, we can enjoy his own unique Chinglish.

Annette is also embracing, or should I say digesting, the Chinese culture. Here she is eating at a Chinese resturant after shoveling fists full of chow mein noodls, bok choi, and rice into her mouth.

Josiah has just about mastered using his set of chopsticks.

1 comment:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

Oh, I just want to SQUEEZE her beautiful chubby cheeks! Come to the U.S. again soon, I'm going to steal her for a date with aunty Nicole! (can I be called aunty?!)