Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jet- Lag, Children and Banking Don't Mix

After Annette was born I wrote this blog about the woes of going to the bank with kids. Now I usually stick with the much quicker ATM transactions- which I thought I could handle- until two weeks ago. It was the day after our flight back to Hong Kong and it was nap time, except, of- course little jet- lagged bodies don't understand that. So, since sleep wasn't happening I decided to run a long list of errands to get us back on our feet. First stop: ATM in the train station. I had two transactions to complete, the second of which was take out $600 for groceries, transportation etc for the rest of the month. Right as I stepped up to the machine Josiah and Annette remembered that they were tired (and sick in the case of Josiah) and started a chorus of screams. I calmly (on the outside) punched in my numbers as the screaming and coughing escalated. Mentally moving on to the other things on my list, I punched the flashing "take card" button and high tailed the "singing stroller" out of there. Ten steps out of the station gates I realized something was missing- the money. I forgot to take it! I tried to rush back in, but the electronic system makes you wait two minutes before re- entry.

When I finally dashed back to the machine there was a man with a little girl standing there. Out of breath I burst out "did you find some money?" He shook his head and I felt sick. There was nothing I could do. I just walked away. I called Jason that afternoon and told him. He was so understanding and just said "it's fine, don't worry about it". I was humbled. So truly humbled. Most of all, I was floored by how gracious Jason was to me. No groaning, lamenting, bringing it up again. He extended such grace to me. I wonder if I would have been so understanding.

That was two weeks ago. Fast- forward to last night. I got a notice from my bank in the mail telling me that our account has been credited the amount!! Apparently the machine sucked the money back in and it took them a while to process it! As you can imagine there was great rejoicing!! I was once again humbled by my ability to mess up, and again thankful for the experience of grace- first from my husband and then the bank. Such a happy ending. . .and now I'm pretty sure I'm off the hook from handling money ever again. Or at least til the kids are grown.

7 comments:

Angela said...

rejoice! YAY!!! Oh that is so nice! Beautiful examples of grace!

Dana said...

Nice! If it makes you feel better, I once left HK$1000 in the machine while talking on the phone, and I didn't have screaming kids distracting me! Unfortunately, mine wasn't such a happy endng. :(

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

OH, I can just imagine the feeling, how horrible...and then how AWESOME!!! was it $600 US or HK dollars? Either way, scary to almost-lose - LOVE the story!

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

Ooh ooh, and I love your new blog look too! Look at us, all changy changy!

The Liconas said...

WOW..so glad that started with Jason reacting so calmly with you and it ending with the money returned into your account. I can relate on many levels. I have left my card still in the machine and walked away and I was alone!

The Paine Family said...

It was $600 US Dollars. Thanks, you guys all make me feel better (:

Anonymous said...

Grace is such a beautiful thing. I've loved reading your last few posts. Your kids are adorable and it is incredibly moving to read about all that God is doing in your lives and the ways in which you are looking for him and surrendering to him on a daily basis. Oh, and I'm glad you liked the pad thai! :)