Sunday, April 11, 2010

I knew it would happen sooner or later. . . .

When you ride an average of 10 elevators a day, statistically there is a high probability your toddler will get in or out without you. Not that I'm making excuses. Okay maybe I am. I had Annette, my mom had the empty stroller and before we knew it the doors shut quickly. We could hear Josiah shrieking as the elevator sunk along with my heart. I watched on the guard's TV monitor as a cleaning attendant got in the elevator (imagine his surprise to be greeted by a screaming 1 year old- alone!) Together they rode the elevator back up to us where we were tearfully reunited.

Just the week before Josiah and I had been playing in our hallway with his ball. I dashed inside to answer the phone and came out literally a minute later to find the hallway empty. The only way out is by elevator or stairway. I didn't think Josiah was strong enough to open the fire doors into the stairway. Feeling a wave of panic I left Annette at home and decided to check the stairway before trying to guess which of the three elevators Josiah might be taking a joy ride in. I found him two flights of stairs up, laughing and calling "Jack, Jack" almost to the 12th floor where his buddy Jack lives.

What do you think, should I put Josiah on a kid leash? I didn't even mention the adventure of having to retrieve him from the men's restroom! Ai- ya!

5 comments:

Sara said...

well, I suppose the good news would be that, he does stand out in a crowd there, so everyone would know where to return him...but, my goodness, my heart would be racing big time....

On another note, he clearly DID NOT enjoy his elevator ride by himself...he may remember that feeling and NOT go again on his own.

The men's restroom, well, I may get a leash for that one!

Matt said...

I think you should strap a critter cam on him. That would track his craziness ;)

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

OH GIRL! I'm imagining the EXACT place that happened. :) I like your stories....really, you're just helping to give Josiah "wings"!

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

Wow, what a story. I am sure both of your hearts were pounding hard, glad the reunion didn't take too long. Not too much longer and you'll be back here visiting (YAY!), which will also include a break from elevators too. ;-)

Bobbie said...

i can relate. same thing happened to me with my daugher! talking about panic!!! :(