Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Blood? Bile?

We are having a wild time in Hanoi. The city is full of intrigue, beauty, history and motorbikes! (In fact Jason is out riding in the maddness right now). When I get back I'll let my pictures tell most of the story, but we had a funny moment today I just have to share.
This morning we visited a pottery village, furniture making village and snake village. Yes, snake, where they raise the slithering delicacies for restaurants. While sitting on bamboo mats by the river awaiting our meal, a man brought out our live 7 foot long snake (lunch). He proceeded to strangle it and then slice it open in front of us! It didn't exactly work up an appetite, but made a good video. Next they squeezed the blood into one cup and the bile in another. Our sweet little Vietnamese waitress offered us these as if she were asking if we wanted tea or coffee, "blood? bile?" she said several times in an inticing voice. In the end the "men" (Dad, Ryan, Jason and our driver) drank a shot of snake blood in whisky. I had a few bites of the 9 different snake dishes that they served up. .. hey it's better than dog!

4 comments:

Angela said...

oh! I couldn't help but laugh as I read and remembered the boy strangling the snake.. we just sat there awed and in wonder as the boy's arm turned purple due to lack of oxygen as the snake wrapped around it.. and then the snake's mouth coming wide open.. oh gosh. i thought it was just a show too.. not a murder

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun. I am loving hearing all the adventures you are taking Ryan and Terilee on. I can't wait to see some pictures.

Cynthia

Sara said...

OK...it's stories like these that really me feel like you are SO far away!!!
(when usually, through your blog and stories, I feel like you are still close!)
Crazy!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I feel nauseous!! I'd love to visit Vietnam, but I'm not so adventurous in the meat arena. I'll just go vegetarian while I'm there! Enjoy the rest of your trip! Looking forward to the pictures (not the snake video though). : )