Saturday, December 5, 2009

Letting Go and Simplifying

I mentioned in a previous blog that I tend to over- complicated my life at times. Christmas is a perfect example of this; I want to make meaningful gifts by hand, bake every cookie under the sun and maintain a long list of family traditions.

This year I'd decided to create hand- made Christmas cards. I gathered most of the materials from various craft shops and had an idea in my mind of what I was doing. However, I hadn't had the time or inspiration to get started. The last few days I've felt myself grow increasingly anxious over the cards as the time pressure of international shipping mounted. Then, I couldn't find half of the supplies I'd bought and was unhappy with the way the photo printed. Every step seemed so needlessly difficult that I sensed the Lord was not blessing this process. Next came the epiphany, I thought "what's the worst thing that could happen? I don't send them!" The more I pondered this possibility, the more I felt I was not supposed to send these cards. I felt a calm flood my spirit as I released the entire thing. Freedom. I realized I wasn't focused on sending the cards in a spirit of love, but pride (look at my cute family and card). I've decided to simplify the process by sending a few hand written notes to people I love who don't hear from me otherwise (if you are reading this blog that's not you, sorry).

The whole decision was liberating to me because I was able to refocus my priorities. Now, instead of spending the weekend trying to pump out a bunch of cards while keeping my toddler from ripping them to shreds, I enjoyed the beautiful day outside in the park with Jason and Josiah. Christmas (life actually) is about being, not doing. So, I give you all permission to let some Christmas duty go and be in the moment!

Because this post needs some pictures, here is a glimpse of our little place this time of year. Wish you could stop in for a cup of apple cider!

Tiny winter clothes make me happy

Do you like the neighbor's laundry out the window?

I love this advent calendar because it is focused on Jesus

This is the latest addition to my collection of nativity scenes from around the world. It is made from recycled newspaper and from Vietnam, which is perfect because we are traveling there this Christmas! Can you see Mary is wearing a Vietnames syle hat? Love it!


This is our Christmas tree all the way from Sweden! Real Christmas trees are very rare here, but Jason surprised me this year with this beautiful tree (delivered by IKEA). I've never had a short needled tree and love how the ornaments hang on it. Josiah loves the "balls!"

3 comments:

gerry said...

Your thoughts of this time of yr are so true and we do get wrapped up in the season, and not the reason. Harry is outside putting up the manger scene, you're tree has inspired me to decorate the inside. have a wonderful time with your family and we will miss you here.

Sara said...

maybe a New Year's card, if you really want to do them :)
I know a few people that do those...which is fun to get after the holidays!

EveryChapter said...

Ikea delivers Christmas trees? How cool is that? I like your simplifying idea...I'm working on it- it's a process. :)