Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Our church is in the middle of a building campaign and using different creative avenues to raise money. Last month they had a silent auction and were encouraging members of the church to donate their talents and services to the cause. Coming home on the train Jason informed me that he signed me up. "English lessons?" I asked? "Babysitting?" "Western cooking lessons?!?" (after all, what skills does an elementary teacher turned housewife really have?!) "Organizational Consultant" he said, punctuating every syllable.
I didn't know whether to laugh or be mad. Jason went on to reassure me of the many ways I have helped to reform his life through my little organizational lessons and systems. I have indeed helped Jason many times straighten his office, joking that it was a good thing he married me because "he couldn't afford my services." This however seemed a far cry from advertising myself as a "consultant". In the end I decided to go for it because I love my church. I also returned the favor and signed up Jason as a personalized "running coach"! (I'll let him blog on that).
So that brings me to this week. Saturday I am going to meet my "bidder" and go to work on her small flat. She's told me several times it is a disaster, which should make me feel useful at least (how can you offer advise to someone who is already together?)
If anyone has any advise or tips for organizing please post a comment below. I have three days to figure out what I am doing. My friends in HK are probably laughing as they read this because I have had a severe case of "pregnancy brain" and can hardly keep my own life organized lately. To God be the glory!



4 comments:

J.M.Paine said...

Great! I always imagined my alternative life to be an organizing & decorating consultant! That is so fun Christine I am glad your husbands knows your strengths and offers your serving hand voluntarily :)

Well, a tip if you might call it that is...
You want to find a system that works for them. Are they going to use the 4 boxes marked out (crayons, glue, scissors, & ribbons) or are they going to throw everything in the same box as usual? What I have found useful is while you are creating a system ask them questions about what works, give them options, ect. (Everyone has atleast one junk/random drawer of course:)

J.M.Paine said...

i meant husband! not plural

jeniferkarianne said...

You can do it! I have faith in you and God will give you the strength you need. I bet you're awesome at it! :)

Angela said...

I LOVE that you are doing this.

I receive a monthly email from a professional organizer (i knew her son from college, so i feel like
i have a tight relationship her... hahaha) and she institutes the 3 minute pick up.. in which you spend 3 minutes tidying up a room before leaving it (implement this AFTER initial organization) -it makes you more efficient too.

Anyhow, she is affectionately known as the organization pro... visit her at http://www.organizingpro.com/

:) much love...