Friday, September 4, 2009

Part of my life right now is vomiting (gross but true). A lot. Josiah had a hard time adjusting to the sight of me "talking on the big white telephone" (as our New Zealand friends say). At first whenever I threw up, he would stand in the hallway and cry in a very sympathetic and concerned way. To ease his nerves, I'd smile or say "boo" as if it was a game. He'd laugh a nervous laugh and then cry again.
Well, after 5 weeks of my morning sickness, he has warmed up to this new fact of life. Now he likes to crawl all over my back as I throw up or get in on the action. Today he joined me in staring deeply into the toilet as if it contained life's deepest secrets. When the chunks started flowing, he bent over and coughed along. I couldn't decide if this was sympathetic or mocking behavior. Either way, this poor kid has seen too much!
On a less gross note (if you managed to read this far)we got to see the baby today for the first time! We had a really great appointment and everything seems on track. Worth every trip to the toilet!

8 comments:

Sara said...

Oh My Goodness Christine...
You made my morning.
I know it's gross, but you have to get a picture of him doing that...

Angela said...

:)

Elizabeth said...

That is sad about him feeling bad about you vomiting, but funny about him joining in on the action. I'm sorry you're having so much sickness. : (

The Schmidts said...

You poor thing! That made me laugh though--motherhood right there. -Rhiannon

Heidi said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! That was cute and disgusting all at the same time!!! Poor little boy... poor mommy!! But your attitude is truly inspiring!! Glad to hear that the baby is doing well!!! This is so exciting!!!: )

Meredith said...

Adeline would stand at the door and ask me if I was okay. I would lift my head and look at her between retches and say in the most reassuring tone possible, "Mommy okay...[blech...]...wait for mommy out there...[blech...]." Alan remembers her doing some coughing too, but the interest in the toilet? Gotta be a boy thing! And you are a better person than I am if you let him crawl on you while you hurl. No way!! Praying for you and that this passes quickly!!

Jennifer said...

Sooo sorry to hear you are so sick again. Now Josiah can see what you went through for him :). Glad to hera all is well with the baby.

EveryChapter said...

Oh you poor thing, I'm so sorry. Sweet little empathetic boy!