Sunday, May 19, 2013

Musings from my Moments

- I'm not a big fan of Buddha, except once a year when we get a school holiday for his birthday (May 17). Of course Jesus' birthday is way better!

- I realized this week while reading a friend's blog post on how being a Mom in Hong Kong is a spectator sport that I am completely used to standing out.  Just yesterday while getting my hair cut (I brought Annabelle along because we're pretty attached) I was sitting next to a window with her in my lap and nearly everyone who walked past stopped, pointed, smiled, or took a picture on their phone. Of course I smiled and waved back at them all. Sometimes I wonder if deep down I secretly like all the "gwalio" attention. As if it brings out my suppressed wannabe Homecoming Queen fantasies. 

- On that note, why can't my hair dresser follow my directions? (it's not a language problem) (or maybe it is) He doesn't like my ideas and has a lot of his own. Like thinning my "fat" hair. He also thinks my hair would look better if the front was asymmetrical. I think I'll just grow it long again.

- I should really spend more time training my kids. This week Josiah was thrilled to learn two new "skills" (as he calls them)- folding towels and peeling vegetables. I guess I will eventually work myself out of a job.

- I am becoming spoiled having a car and public transportation just doesn't seem worth the effort anymore. Yesterday we took a trip to outer- lying Lamma Island using buses, ferries and taxis. We spent 4 1/2 hours just getting there and back, it cost $220 hkd ($30 US) and we were exhausted by the time we got home. I. love. our. car. Plus I looked a little silly trying to run to catch a bus while wearing Annabelle in the bjorne. Don't try it (:

- I love the beach. The only time I don't really love the beach is with a newborn.

- Annette can now wear her hair in a pony tail. I never thought the day would come. So cute!!

- This week our church hosted the first annual Justice Conference for Asia. It looked incredible and I so wanted to be there.  We got to hear Eugene Chu (from Seattle) speak in church today about the cost of fighting for justice and standing up for the oppressed. It really inspired me to want to do more.  

- Remember my neighbor (the domestic helper) Sunethra? We are becoming better friends and she even came up to my house and brought us a pineapple! I learned that she was married when she was 13 and now at the age of 31 may soon be a Grandma. I can't imagine!! Please keep her in your prayers and our growing friendship. She may have a Sunday off next week so we are hoping to take her to church with us. 


Here are a few photos from our weekend around Hong Kong. . . 











No comments: