Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Kingdom of Cambodia- Part I




























We’re home!! I was hoping to be able to post some blog updates from Cambodia but didn’t think about the fact that I can’t get my photos on our ipad (is there a cord that can do that?) We ended up not going to Laos, but instead got to see three different parts of Cambodia. I don’t feel like I did a great job capturing the beauty of the country and people with my camera. Someday I’d like to get better at that, maybe when I’m not juggling kids on my lap in tuk tuks (: Thank you for your prayers. We really felt God’s protection and favor upon us. Traveling really is such a passion that makes me come alive and I am so thankful to be able to do it. I’m also so thankful to come home in the end to hot showers and clean water. 




Part I- Phnom Penh
We flew into the capital city of Phnom Penh spent our first four days there with our friends the Sauders. The Sauder family recently sold nearly everything they owned in Pennsylvania and moved to Cambodia following dreams that the Lord had placed on their hearts of rescuing children from sex slavery. We absolutely loved this family for the three months we spent together at Harvest School of Mission in Mozambique and were so happy to see them again. Jo (the wife) is one of the sweetest and strongest women that I’ve ever met.  She laughs constantly, is incredibly patient and thoughtful while at the same time courageous, spunky and bold. Can you tell I love her?! She obviously is busy homeschooling and caring for their four kids, yet in the evenings minsiters to prostitues in bars and longs to see the street children brought into family. Her husband Chad is looking to see how he can use his business skills in Cambodia, which is something that Jason loved to talk with him about. Their four kids are fabulous and were so loving and protective to Josiah and Annette that I felt “off duty” a bit while they were together. 

Together we got to play with some of the vulnerable street kids that live along the riverfront. We also visited and learned about organizations that are providing jobs from women so they can leave the sex trade. We enjoyed worshiping with them at church and meeting some of their lovely Khmer friends there. They took us to the Russian Market (i love markets!) which was full of cheap and pretty treasures. On New Years Eve our families stayed at a resort outside of the city to enjoy a fun pool and relaxation. Probably my favorite activity in Phenom Penh was simply driving around the city in the tuk tuk observing normal life on the streets, the barefoot monks in safron robes, the smiling naked little kids, and marveling at how many people and objects could fit on a motorcycle (: 


Chad and Ari getting around Phenom Penh
Jo loving on the kids down by the Riverfront



We loved the sunny warm weather!
 The Russian Market
Annette and Sean on the tuk took

I'm not sure why this photo is loading sideways, but I love this shot of Annette waving to people passing on motorcycles. She brought a lot of smiles!


3 comments:

Sara said...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

This is what you need ;)
Beautiful pics as always!
Kids are getting so big!!!

gerry said...

No doubt Annette thought she was in a parade, ?the Rose parade?? She is just a cutie and brings a smile to anyone. Her little piggy tails are getting longer!

The Liconas said...

What an incredible journey! Just the THOUGHT of children as sex slaves makes me sicker than anything I could ever imagine. I will NEVER stop praying for the end and healing of that.
You all look so good and healthy and happy. I am so so glad! I know Chinese New Year is coming next month. I hope it brings more joy!