Friday, December 10, 2010

Monstrosities

Classy, traditional, understated, simple, elegant. . .not words used to describe Christmas displays in Hong Kong. Each year we watch as the malls try to out- do each other with unique (oh yes), bizarre and down- right ridiculous Christmas displays. Here are a couple monstracities from year's past in the New Town Plaza.


This year the mall closest to our house chose the classy Christmas theme "Molly Bling Bling Christmas Ballroom". Huh? But after living here five years, we don't ask questions, we just robotically stand in front of the display and take a picture on our iphone. Shoot, Josiah's not doing the peace sign- I guess we've got a ways to go in training him in the ways of Hong Kong.

And nothing says Merry Christmas like Hello Kitty in a sleigh

5 comments:

Sara said...

I like the Molly bling bling. Wish I had that photo opportunity with my Molly. Is that a show??

Angela said...

oooo. I do like that last one the best. Made me think of the light show we watched from across the harbor. I like Hong Kong. And it makes me laugh!

The Schmidts said...

bling, bling, x-mas kingdom . . . nice. That's what I think of when contemplating the birth of Christ. At least they don't try to veil the consumerism of it at all.

EveryChapter said...

Oh that's hilareous! Thanks for the pictures and the laugh. The last shot is gorgeous, you're right.

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

HA! Everyone needs a Hello Kitty Santa, for sure! I like you. :)