Saturday, August 15, 2009

Face



When we moved to Hong Kong we were taught that a strong Chinese value is "saving face". We were told not to confront people in a direct manner or in a way that would cause them shame. I have yet to see this value applied to Josiah's face. He took a little nose dive on the cement this week (I actually thought it was kind of cute). But now I hear about his face all day long, everywhere we go, "what happened" "ai- ya" "look what you did naughty boy". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when an acquaintance said in the grocery store yesterday, "Baby you just keep getting uglier!" I had nothing good to say back. Anybody have a line for moments like this?

6 comments:

Dana said...

ooohhh....look at those eyes!!! I'm cyber-squeezing him, he's so cute! :)

as far as a response, all the ones that came to mind wouldn't be very nice. sorry! haha...

he's starting to look like a little boy, not a baby anymore...so cute!

Heidi said...

Yea... the comments that I would like to say back would involve using "harsh letters" and I don't want to go there... rest asured, he is serioulsy one of the cutest kids I have ever seen!!! You wouldn't think after being there for so long that culture shock would still get ya but it does doesn't it!

Terilee said...

I can't believe they would say that about my cute little nephew. Well all I know is that when I show people pictures of him they all say he is very cute, and I agree, scar face and all.

And I don't know if there would be nice comments to say back to something like that.

Sara said...

a face only a mother can love...and a daddy, and an aunt, and an uncle..and friends...

hmmm...maybe that comment was lost in translation?

he's beautiful Christine...
and so big!

EZEKIEL JAMES HERZOG said...

He is such a handsome little guy, scratch and all! This blog brought back some memories...."ai ya"! Most of what we heard was "fat baby". You'll look back and laugh at these moments!

The Schmidts said...

I do believe that my first inclination would be to respond with a simple "your mom keeps getting uglier." But, that wouldn't be very nice.
Rhiannon