Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home

"The funny thing is, the moment I am in one country, I am homesick for the other." ~Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say

Air travel still amazes me. I spent 15 hours in a cramped space juggling toddler snacks, sippy cups, board books and a tired baby- then stepped off the plane and was in China. This is our fourth year in Hong Kong and I still can't believe I live here.

As Josiah and I rode home from the airport through the high winds of the typhoon 8 raging around us, I remembered how I first fell in love with this city. I felt a connection to the lush green mountians, the rectangular apartment windows extending 60 stories all alit at 11:30 at night, the horizontal neon signs, and chatter of Cantonese along the crowded streets. This city still holds so much energy and optomism for me.

Then I thouht back to beauitful Arroyo Grande, California, the quaint town where I grew up. A place where people say "hello" on the streets and kids play baseball in the park. I love how blue the sky gets in Arroyo Grande and the way people stroll through the Staurday famers market collecting vegies and flowers in their baskets.

It is a sweet reunion to see our Hong Kong friends again, yet so bitter saying good bye to our California family. I am so excited for Heaven where there will be just one home with everyone there. But for now I am enjoying both my homes, and trying not to be too homesick for the other.





6 comments:

Sara said...

I am glad you made it home...
but I am even happier that we got to visit and be "mommies" together ;)
I will get my pictures to you...I have some good ones of your beautiful boy!

Meredith said...

What a great post. Thank you for sharing :).

Emily Thompson said...

glad you made it home safe! Hope the jet lag isn't too bad!

Dana said...

that quote is so true, unfortunately! I was very "homesick" for HK last night....think it's too early to visit??? :)

The Schmidts said...

Awww, we miss you too.

Becky said...

Happy Anniversary, glad you arrived safely in typhoon weather. Hey, I'm going to Paso Robles for the weekend - thought of you guys. We're enjoying our summer in CA!