Sunday, February 8, 2009

origami and humble pie


This afternoon I went to a valentine origami class offered by the management of our estate. I'm not exactly sure why, I guess I thought it would be fun to experience an Asian art form and send little origami valentines to my family.

When I walked in a room filled with 15 4th grade looking girls, I almost turned around, but since Jason had agreed to watch Josiah I decided to stick it out . . . The first few folds were simple and I got a little over confident. I decided to make two paper hearts at once (being the older one in the room- with lots of experience folding letters in high school- I thought I could handle it). Well, folds 3- 300 proved to be a little more complicated. Yes- I insist there were 300 folds! I had no idea origami was so pain staking! It took us one whole hour to fold a piece of paper to spell out the word LOVE. One hour! I tried not to think of all the other things I could be doing in one hour. The girl next to me, Coby, didn’t have a love for folding paper either, but she said it got her out of her house where her parents were making her do English dictation all Sunday afternoon. Coby ended up getting some English practice after all as she translated the origami class from Cantonese for me.

The scary part about this experience is that I was so bad at origami- I mean really bad. I just couldn't really get it. Watching me do origami was like watching my Grandma try to use a computer mouse. Well, I guess it is good to try new things, right sis (the "life long learner"). But don't be waiting by your mailbox for your valentine. (:

2 comments:

The Schmidts said...

Hilarious! I am just picturing you sitting there with all of the little girls folding paper--too funny! --rhiannon

Heidi said...

Oh, I was totally intrigued by this!! I am proud of you for going, I think you should go again, you could get really good at it if you keep practicing. I would have been worse than you I am sure, it looks really hard to me and I never was good at those creative folds in HS!!!!