Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Middle

The other day Josiah was teetering on his wobbly feet (his favorite position these day) trying to gain his balance to take a step. In the background the Casting Crowns song, “Somewhere In The Middle” was playing.
“Somewhere between the hot and the cold- somewhere between the new and the old- somewhere between who I am and who I used to be- somewhere in the middle, you’ll find me- somewhere between the wrong and the right- somewhere between the darkness and the light- somewhere between who I was and who you’re making me- somewhere in the middle you’ll find me- Just how close can I get Lord to my surrender without loosing all control.”
In that moment I realized like Josiah, I’m in the “in the middle.” Not where I used to be, yet far from where I want to be. Clinging with one hand to the comforts and security of this world, while reaching with another towards a life fully surrendered in faith. The middle is not my favorite spot (speaking as a middle child), I long to be in with both feet. God is gracious and patient. He is teaching me through Josiah that like walking, sanctification is a process. One day we will be made like Him- no longer in the middle! I long for that day.

No comments: