Wednesday, October 1, 2008

my book list

I don't have many hobbies (I think I have lost my passion for knitting) but one thing I love doing is reading. The genre that I am current passionate about are international stories of overcoming suffering. It sounds dismal at first, but I love to read books from other cultures with a very personal perspective. All of these books are set in developing countries with characters whose lives are, on an external level, very different than mine. Some are Christian, some are not, but all (almost all) have a redemptive message. I believe I am a better person for having read them, and maybe you will be too.
- Water: the story of a child widow in India. Gives a peephole into the caste system and has some historic characters. Interestingly, this book was based on a movie
- A Long Way Gone: the true story of a child solider in Sierra Leon. Maybe the most tragic and violent of all the books, but it has a positive ending. Everyone should read this book.
-Three Cups of Tea: the story of an extreme mountain climber who builds schools for children in Pakistan. This book gives interesting insight into the Taliban and inspiration as to what one person can do.
-Chasing the Dragon: set in Hong Kong and written by Jackie Pulinger who we have met. She tells powerful/ miraculous stories from her ministry in the "walled city."
- Wild Swans: this one is long but really helped me understand China's modern history. It tells the true story of three generations of women.
-The Kite Runner: even if you've seen the movie you should read the book. The author has also written a second book A Thousand Splendid Suns about women in Afganistan
- Heavenly Man: sheds light on the under ground church in China and modern day persecution. True and miraculous.
- When Invisible Children Sing: tells of Bolivian orphans who live in the streets and sewers. The story is told by a med student visiting on an internship, it is very well written

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm a little behind on checking blogs- this is a great list. Long Way Gone has been on my shelf for a few months- I'll have to pick it up next. Three Cups of Tea is on my wishlist.