Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Birth Story


Annabelle Mei Paine~ March 30, 2013


There were a lot of unknown factors leading up to Annabelle’s birth. Until just a few days before she was born we thought she was breech, then we got the news that our private maternity ward was closing for Easter and our doctor was heading to Beijing (good bye support network).  Next came the word that the hospital charges were being increased 50% starting April 1. I kept rolling all of the these factors around in my head. Adding to the equation was my mom’s upcoming visit, coming half way around the world and leaving, before my due date.  I was starting to get a little cranky analyzing when the “right” time would be for baby to come and of course reconciling with the reality that I had no control in the matter.  I felt the Lord urging me just to trust so throughout the day I would pray and remind myself that He had it under control. 

Jason’s spring break began on Thursday, March 28. In a distraction from the waiting we decided to stay busy. Friday we went down to the Air and Space Museum, had lunch by the harbor, took the ferry to the Maritime Museum, then saw an imax movie. Whew! Once at home I made and cleaned up dinner, walked to the store and prepared food for a party we were going to the next day. In hindsight I should have just gone to bed. . . 

Looking huge taking the Star Ferry across the harbor
Contractions started at 2 am the next morning and were strong and consistent enough to keep me from going back to sleep, along with adrenaline that this could be “it”. When the kids woke up we started packing and at 9am  took them over to our friends the Rosses. It felt a little early to go the hospital but we had been warned the 3rd one can come fast. We parked the car near the hospital and decided to walk around a park before checking in. At the park I suddenly asked Jason “am I peeing on myself?” as we watched water dribble to the ground. We both laughed and decided that maybe we should get to the hospital. That was about 10:30 

My water just broke in the park!

Despite all of the changes in wards and hospital staff, this experience actually provided the nicest and most helpful doctors and nurses. Jason was able to be with me the whole time (that is not the typical scenario in the public hospitals here) and he helped me through the 1st stage of labor contractions in a pre labor ward. I was only 2 cm dilated when I got to the hospital and then 2 hours later was disappointed to have only progressed to 3. But they were growing stronger and by 2:30 I was 4 cm and they decided to transfer me to the labor ward. 

Still smiling (between contractions) while laboring on the birthing ball in the lovely pink ward

That is when everything got crazy. For the next 20 minutes it felt like there was no break in my contractions. I began making strange noises and in an attempt not to scream (while on a stretcher in a public elevator) I bit my hand so hard I broke the skin. By the time we got to the delivery suite I was now screaming loudly that I needed to push. Jason was gowning up and heard me across the ward. As soon as he got in the room I started pushing and 6 minutes at 2:52 later Annabelle was out! I can’t really explain what happened in those 20 minutes but it was super intense. 


2.9 kg= 6.4 lbs Our biggest baby yet!


Getting her hearing tested

Little baby in a Big City

The next day was Easter Sunday! Jason and the kids picked my mom up from the airport that evening, then brought Annabelle and I home for our first time united as a family of five. 
It was such a great picture of the New Life that Jesus brings on Easter!  Now it is 3:30 am Annabelle just finished eating and my story will stop here for now . . .


8 comments:

Sara said...

First...LOOK AT YOUR IN THOSE SKINNY JEANS LOOKING AMAZING.

Second...she's perfect.

Third...you are my hero.

Angela said...

sister. you look GOOD! and so happy! ooo! I'm so glad Mom is there. Enjoy the time!

Unknown said...

So nice to see a photo of little Annabelle. Congratulations, well done, and praise the Lord!

Jennifer said...

You are amazing Christine! Annabelle is so beautiful. Congrats to you, Jason, Josiah and Annette! Welcome to the family of 5 club!

Jennifer said...

You are amazing Christine! Annabelle is so beautiful. Congrats to you, Jason, Josiah and Annette! Welcome to the family of 5 club!

Rhiannon said...

Love your birth story!!! Oh those third babies--that was so much like Brielle (except I labored at home and only had 35 minutes of labor at the hospital). CRAZY. She is a doll and you look amazing!!!! Love Rhiannon

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

AAAHHH, love the birth story, thanks for sharing Christine. I can't imagine the intensity of that last hour, wow! Annabelle you have been blessed with an amazing family. We love you!

Unknown said...

We prayed for Annabelle during family devotions tonight.