Saturday, June 18, 2011

International Dragon Boat Races

This is the first summer that we have ever spent in Hong Kong. So far we are making the most of it and today participated in an annual event that we always miss, the Dragon Boat Races. There were teams from all over the world competing in Victoria harbor. Part of the harbor was portioned off by dredging ships to block the big swells from rocking the thin, canoe like dragon boats. Each team had a captian who sat at the front beating a giant drum that the rowers keep time to. Another person stood at the back of the boat to steer using a long stick. Four boats raced at a time, completing three laps (around 2 miles total). In spite of the sweltering heat, we had a good time. What are you doing over the summer?





2 comments:

Sara said...

Nothing THAT exciting! How cool!

The Liconas said...

Since I have come to "know" you, I have Hong Kong set on my weather App on my phone and check it often when I think of you guys. I laugh when it tells me your daily high will be 88 and your nighttime low will be 83. I can't imagine that kind of heat. Glad you got to see another cool thing there.