Monday, May 17, 2010

Traumatic

Well Annette's morning got off to a rough start. It began with Josiah's metal tractor rolling off his play table onto her forehead, leaving a red bump and lots of tears. After kisses, a good swaddle and snuggle she fell asleep. I laid Annette in her bassinet, closed the bedroom door and did some housework while Josiah played. When she woke up about an hour later I went to get her and found the door locked from the inside (any guesses as to who is now tall enough to press the button?)

A wave of panic flooded my body as her screams became more urgent. I called my friend Emily and asked her to run to the management office to get a locksmith. She left her toddler sleeping at home (what a good friend!) and got them to call someone right away. Meanwhile, I tried every random key in our basket, but couldn't open the door. For a while I thought Annette might fall back asleep, but then came the "I'm hungry" cry that I knew would not relent until she was fed. I tried talking to Annette through the door, but this only made her cry with a more frantic desperation. Josiah also was trying keys in the door and was certainly the calmest member of the household. They said the locksmith would come in 30 minutes, so I willed myself to listen to some worship music and be patient. After about 25 minutes 4 people came in our house and within minutes busted the door open. Annette and I were tearfully reunited.

Upon re- reading my story, I think "what was the big deal, you knew she was fine" On a cognitive level yes, but there is something about a newborns helpless cry that will drive a mother to do anything to be with her baby. Another one of God's amazing designs. Annette is getting lots of snuggles this afternoon. . . as much for me as for her.
Busting in

Natalie and Fonnie helping to save the day

4 comments:

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

You poor mommy!

Sara said...

poor Annette...and poor Mommy, too!

at least Josiah wasn't locked in as well....

One day you will look back and laugh :) and Annette won't remember a thing!

Jennifer said...

How scary...I am so sorry you both had to go through that. I know what you mean about a newborn's cry that makes you feel such urgency to fix the problem.

Bobbie said...

this is too scary for a mommy with a baby locked in another room alone! thank you Jesus for taking care of annette!