Friday, January 23, 2009

Chinese New Year Flowers

Those of you who know me well know that I LOVE flowers. In fact my all time favorite spot in Hong Kong is the huge Mong Kok Flower Market. I just find it so relaxing to stroll through rows of beautiful and unique flowers. So, you can imagine my excitment when we stumbled upon a large make- shift market near our house, selling New Year's Flowers. For Chinese people getting potted mandarin orange trees, crysanthunums, and peach blosooms is equivalant to American's choosing a Christmas tree. All week it seems like everyone I pass has their arms full of flowers- how fun is that?



Contest- I have NO idea what this last plant is. I will send a New Year prize to the first person who can identify it for me. (:

2 comments:

Sara said...

The competitive side in me came out...
I HAD To find out the fruit...
and, I did!

5. Solanum Mammosum, aka "Cow's Udder Fruit" - Just because people refer to them as fruit, that doesn't mean you should eat them. They're poisonous.
Here's the link!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vat19.com/blog/cows-udder-titty-fruit-plant-solanum-mammosum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vat19.com/blog/2008/05/strange_plants_plants_too_stra.html&usg=__zVQQIID8oG2jJ_rQUaoca9qpskQ=&h=324&w=320&sz=12&hl=en&start=44&um=1&tbnid=VF3I5wlsKrG-ZM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dweird%2Bplants%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DISO-8859-1

Angela said...

I like that you LOVE flowers sis! Pretty pics!