Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election in HK

Just now I was walking down the street and passed a Pizza Hut delivery man. I greeted him in Cantonese and smiled. He smiled back playfully and replied "Obama."
You may think we would have dodged all the election hype being on the other side of the world, but I have been amazed at what a big deal it is to everyone, American or not. Yesterday morning 10:30 our time, I was reading an article online about the terrible violence in Congo and the plight of the quarter million refugees. My heart was heavy over the situation and I was crying out to the Lord for relief. At that time I got a call from Johnny, our friend from the Congo. He was ecstatic yelling in the phone "Thank you God . . . Obamba first black president . . . no more white house, black house!" He then passed the phone to another African friend who was celebrating with him, but I couldn't even make out what his friend was saying because he was over taken by tears (literally sobbing) at the excitement of Obama's presidency. I thought it was ironic that we were both so moved by the news of each other's countries. However you sway politically, history was certainly made and I can't help but feel caught up in the excitement.

No comments: