Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Walls are Coming in On Us




These photos were taken from our balcony. In the less than two years we have lived in this house, 35 story towers have shot up around us. The sky seems to be shrinking and as you can see in just  few more stories higher (they build a story a week) the mountains will disappear from our view. The restless energy of Hong Kong is a force that I both love and hate. It invigorates and drains me depending on the day. 

So we are gearing up for another move, for several reasons, not just to do with this construction. This will be our fifth, most remote, and hopefully final place in which we reside in Hong Kong. Our new place will not really be much bigger, but does have three bedrooms which will help a lot with our current sleep issues with Annabelle. It also has a big, useable balcony with a breezy sea view. And most exciting to us, we will have the building's rooftop which means BBQs, kiddy pools, and outdoor space of our very own. We are very thankful!

At church a couple weeks ago we were singing an old beautiful hymn 

My hope it built on nothing less 
Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus name

I’m not sure what a “sweet frame” is but as we sang I was visualizing my dream house.  Sometimes I feel bothered by our unconventional lifestyle feeling like I would prefer the security of a 30 year mortgage in an American neighborhood. But I think the point is, whether we're living in a suburban home, mud hut or flashy high rise our trust should not be in that "frame". God has been reminding me this as I've muddled through all the emotions of finding a new place to live. He must know my propensity to rely of things other than Him. How I long to wholly rely on his name. . . 

No comments: