Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life Update

Things are really heating up for us in Hong Kong (literally and figuratively). Here is a little window into what we have cookin'

Summer Schedule:
June 11- Jason's last day at school
June 13- 30- Christine runs Writing Clinics tutoring all morning long
June 30- move out of our house and into a friend's place for July
June 4- 17-Christine teaches Summer School at ICS
June 18- 29 Jason teaches ICS summer school and coaches soccer camp in the afternoon
June 4- 29- Josiah attends pre- school summer school (:
August 1- Fly to the Philippines

*Oh, I guess I should update you that we will be spending August serving in the Philippines with ICM. In September we will then be flying to South Africa. I am SO excited about this change and can't wait to hug those beautiful children!!!*

Here is a picture of Josiah recovering from his first round of vaccines


It feels like there are a million things to do. Fortunately I am a detail person so I have hit my stride. I much prefer prefer longs lists to ambiguity.

To- Do List: (more for me than you)
HEALTH
-vaccinate (2 rounds) and get malaria pills
- test children's blood type
- stock up on Josiah's asthma medicine
- order vitamins for kids
- get supplies of antibiotics and various other medicines/ first aid
- choose and purchase the right health insurance for our family

HOME
- Sell, loan, store or pack all possessions (this is the biggie!)- to save money we actually are not getting a storage unit which means we have AMAZING friends who are sacrificing space in their tiny flats for our stuff. Can you believe that!?!
- get rid of Josiah's toys without devastating him
- Cancel our utilities and cell phones
- Re- paint parts of our flat and do minor repair work

SHOPPING
- Purchase travel items like pack 'n play sheets, travel booster seat etc.
- Select and order water filtration system
- Buy gifts for people we meet along the way
- Keep our luggage under 40 kg.
- research and buy best mosquito nets and repellent
- buy travel nebulizer in case of a severe asthma attack

LOGISTICS
- Book accommodations for Philippines
- Buy plane tickets (we have some already) and apply for visas at Philippines and Mozambique consulates
- Confirm stay at IRIS South Africa
- Have a follow- up meeting with ICM coordinator

PAPERWORK
- Gather reference letters
- Apply to Harvest School of Mission in Mozambique (applications accepted tomorrow!)
- Synthesize and prepare teacher- training materials for working in schools
-Create budget for the year and hope it works (:
- Copy and organize all important travel documents and emergency information

TECHNOLOGY
- Back up everything onto two external hard drives
- Determine whether to bring laptop
- Create new blog and newsletters to communicate with friends and family

SPIRITUAL
- meet with Pastors for counseling and wisdom
- be prayed for and "sent off" by our church
- seek the Father's heart, stay humble, dependent and willing
- take captive fear and walk in faith

5 comments:

Emily Thompson said...

Hey sorry I never got back to you about the blood type. I have NO idea my boys blood, and don't know how to find it out... I was just talking to someone (don't remember who) who knew the whole families blood type... I don't even know my own. :o) yikes!

Sara said...

Inspirational. Seriously.

Erik and Laura Ouimette said...

I am so excited for you and your new adventure. I love all your to-do lists, means things are getting close. We will continue to pray for all of you as you prepare for travels. Love you all!

Nicole Suzanne Farley said...

UFFDA! That's intense cuz, I love it! I'm so glad you're a detail person, this stage for us totally stressed me out. :) YOU GO GIRL!

BBLO said...

So excited reading about your plans! If you want, you're welcome to store some toys/stuff in my P1 classroom (which used to be yours!)...