Sunday, February 8, 2009

What happened to my wife?

Being a British colony for nearly 150 years the imperalists have left quite an impact on the current culture of Hong Kong. Even still there are over 100k British folk in the city still exerting some influence especially in the finance sector. Well, being an American, I sometimes find myself laughing inside at some of the odd terms the British use for things. For instance, lift means elevator and cue means a line. I am not sure why but all of the sudden my wife has started picking up multiple British terms and integrating them into her everyday language. Everytime she does this, my jaw drops and I stare at her in disbelief, thinking what happened to the All American girl I used to know? A few of her recent phrases have been.."Would you like a lolly?" or "Oh he is just an average bloke." and "I saw an adVERsment that said..."
My worry is that she is losing her roots. She says it is just part of her international lingo. I'll keep ya'll (Now, there's American for you) updated on the loosening of her roots or the deepening of her international lingo. In the meantime lets hope she doesn't take on the chin to the sky attitude and make 4:00 a mandatory tea time.

No comments: